The Sexual Health and Reproductive Experiences (SHARE) Lab, directed by Dr. Madina Agénor, conducts cutting-edge quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-methods research on the social and policy determinants of sexual and reproductive health disparities in relation to various dimensions of social inequality – especially sexual orientation, race/ethnicity, and gender identity – using an intersectional and health equity lens.
Topics of study include: intersecting sexual orientation, racial/ethnic, and nativity disparities in cervical cancer screening and human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination; sexual and reproductive health of sexual minority women, including Black sexual minority women; sexual and reproductive health of transmasculine individuals, including transmasculine people of color; and impact of policy– and provider-level factors on cancer prevention disparities and reproductive health equity.
Current SHARE Lab Projects
- Multilevel social determinants of HIV/STI testing among transmasculine young adults of color (funded by National Institute of Mental Health)
- Policy- and provider-level determinants of sexual orientation and racial/ethnic disparities in HPV vaccination and other sexual and reproductive health services among young U.S. women (funded by National Cancer Institute)
- Body image, romantic relationships, and sexual health among transfeminine and transmasculine young adults (with Dr. Allegra Gordon; funded by Aerosmith Endowment Fund)
- Intersecting sexual orientation and racial/ethnic disparities in contraceptive care among U.S. women
- Sexual orientation identity and gender identity disparities in sexual health services use among assigned female at birth adults in East Africa (with Dr. Michele Ybarra)
Current SHARE Lab Members
- Leanne Loo, Undergraduate Student, Tufts University
- Seblewongel Yigletu, Undergraduate Student, Tufts University
- Emily Unger, PhD Student, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Gabe Murchison, MPH, PhD Student, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Sophia Geffen, MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health graduate
- Natasha Ramanayake, PhD Candidate, Suffolk University
SHARE Lab Collaborators
Projects are conducted in collaboration with junior and senior colleagues at universities and community-based organizations across the U.S., including Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Boston Children’s Hospital, University of Michigan, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Harvard Medical School, The Fenway Institute, and Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts.
Join the SHARE Lab!
If you are an undergraduate, masters, or doctoral student or postdoctoral research fellow interested in joining the SHARE Lab, please send the following information to Dr. Agénor at email@example.com: 1) CV or resume, 2) one-page cover letter detailing your research experience and skills and explaining why you want to join the Lab, 3) writing sample (5 pages maximum), and 4) contact information for 2 academic references.
For more information about the SHARE Lab, please visit https://sites.tufts.edu/sharelab/.